Originally part of the Foulke and Long Institute along with the adjacent Morgan Building, and later incorporated into the University, this was the plainer of the two buildings, and it is set back slightly, marking the hierarchy within the original Institute. The Lerner Center has been completely renovated with a restoration of the original historic facade, while completely demolishing and rebuilding the interior and adding an expanded facility between Chancellor and Smith Walks, that reflects the modern needs of the Music Department.
Originally built in 1890 as an orphanage, the Lerner Center (formerly known as the Music Building) was purchased by the University in the early 1900's. Additions have been made to the building over the years to house the Music Department. The most recent renovation resulted in an expanded facility that reflects the modern needs of the department and restores the historic structure.Program
The existing historic structure was restored, while a new addition to the east houses faculty offices, classrooms, and practice rooms.